Electrical hazards can cause burns, shocks and electrocution (death).
- Assume that all overhead wires are energized at lethal voltages. Never assume that a wire is safe to touch even if it is down or appears to be insulated.
- Never touch a fallen overhead power line. Call the electric utility company to report fallen electrical lines.
- Stay at least 10 feet (3 meters) away from overhead wires during cleanup and other activities. If working at heights or handling long objects, survey the area before starting work for the presence of overhead wires.
- If an overhead wire falls across your vehicle while you are driving, stay inside the vehicle and continue to drive away from the line. If the engine stalls, do not leave your vehicle. Warn people not to touch the vehicle or the wire. Call or ask someone to call the local electric utility company and emergency services.
- Never operate electrical equipment while you are standing in water.
- Never repair electrical cords or equipment unless qualified and authorized.
- Have a qualified electrician inspect electrical equipment that has gotten wet before energizing it.
- If working in damp locations, inspect electric cords and equipment to ensure that they are in good condition and free of defects, and use a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).
WHEN WORKING WITH ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS FOR ANY TASK, BE SURE TO TAKE EXTREME CAUTION, DO EXTENSIVE RESEARCH, AND FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH EVERY ASPECT OF WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO!
You wouldn’t want to have an accident.
THOR Manufacturing creates the most innovative 12 volt automotive products on the market. They take expert knowledge of the 12 volt industry, couple it with feedback from their professional customer base, and incorporate functional common-sense ideas to make a truly unique product for the demanding end user. THORs experienced staff draws on working knowledge from international manufacturing leaders such as Black and Decker, Office Depot, and Vector Manufacturing.
With a knowledgeable staff blending over 35 years of automotive experience combined with their in-house engineering design team, Thor Manufacturing is bringing back innovation and quality into a market that has become all too common place. The word “commodity” is used far too often when describing products like inverters, jump starters, battery chargers, and other automotive products. Since they’re closely similar to demanding users of their own products, THOR takes what they do and how they design their products personally. THOR takes pride in putting their products up against any other manufactures in the business and showing the superior quality that goes into THOR power products.
With exceptional efficiency in design, strategic factory alliances, and a talented global sourcing team Thor Manufacturing is able to offer its exceptional products at competitive pricing without sacrificing quality. Their daily goal is to meet and exceed the ever changing and demanding needs of their customers. THOR invites you to try and enjoy one of their many innovative power products today!
CURT electrical products are designed to deliver unsurpassed levels of performance, reliability and durability. Their philosophy in electrical is the same as their philosophy for trailer hitches: “we want to provide the perfect fit”. CURT wants plug-and-play products that offer easy installation and superior functionality. The use of surface mount technology (SMT) components is just one of the steps CURT has taken to achieve this goal. SMT components are the most up-to-date parts available for circuit designs, offering lower resistance, reduced heat generation and longer life cycles than more common, out-of-date, through-hole-mounted components. CURT applies SMT to a full line of tail light converters and to any custom vehicle-to-trailer wiring harnesses (also called T-connectors) with built-in converters.
Benefits of surface mount technology (SMT):
- Minimum Heat Generation – High-quality SMT components create very little resistance, reducing heat, limiting voltage drop and extending life.
- Automated Manufacturing – SMT manufacturing is automated, ensuring high reliability and consistency.
- Maximum Light Intensity – SMT circuitry efficiency ensures maximum trailer light intensity and life.
- Fully Tested – SMT circuits are optically tested and load tested before being used in a wiring harness. They are also load tested again before being packaged and shipped.
- Durability and Performance – SMT offers improved mechanical performance under shake and vibration conditions, common while towing.
In addition to using top-quality components, CURT is proud to say that 100% of their custom vehicle-to-trailer wiring harnesses and converters are put through a variety of electrical testing, and most of them are made right here in the USA. Every unit is tested on an automated sequence tester to verify complete functionality on all components.
CURT electrical connectors feature bonded wires and molded rubber construction. They are available in everything from 2-way flat to 7-way round. All of their connectors are available for both the trailer end and car end, and they also carry a number of adapters that allow you to connect your trailer to your vehicle when the two have differing connector types.
Hooking up the electrical components on your trailer is an important part of towing safety. It’s especially crucial to understand the electrical systems of your towing rig when you are hauling an RV or large trailer with electric brakes. With additional components, however, come more complicated wiring systems. The simplest trailers use four wires to control tail lights, brake lights and turn signals. Trailers with five, six or seven-wire plugs add backup lights, electric brakes and auxiliary power. The guide below describes the variety of connectors used in the towing industry and shows the consistency of wire function across the different connector types:
- 4-way connectors are designed to provide the basic lighting functions required for towing: brake lights, turn signals and tail lights. They are available in flat or round plug styles and can typically be found on small boat trailers and utility trailers.
- Flat 5-way connectors are very much like 4-way connectors. In addition to brake lights, turn signals and tail lights, however, a 5-way connector provides a connection for the reverse lights or backup lights. This is especially useful on many larger boat trailers that come with surge brakes.
- Like 4-way connectors, 6-way connectors are available in two plug styles, square and round. 6-way connectors provide connection for brake lights, turn signals, tail lights, electric brakes and an additional 12-volt connection for reverse lights. 6-way connectors are most common on gooseneck trailers but can also be found on large boat trailers, utility trailers, campers and 5th wheel trailers.
- Along with the main functions offered by smaller connectors (brake lights, turn signals, tail lights, electric brakes and reverse lights), the 7-way connectors provide a wire to run auxiliary power. This is especially useful for towing an RV. A variation of the 7-way round connector is the 7-way RV blade connector, made specifically with recreational vehicles in mind. 7-way RV blades can be used with large boat trailers, utility trailers, 5th wheels and gooseneck trailers.
The connection from your vehicle to your trailer may not always be an exact fit. For just such occasions, CURT offers several different adapters that allow opposing plug types to be joined together.
CURT converters are designed to convert a 3-wire electrical system on a vehicle down to a standard 2-wire trailer light system. Often times, a vehicle is equipped with separate wiring for turn signals and brake lights. Because many trailers operate on a simpler system, a direct connection from the vehicle’s 3-wire system to the trailer’s 2-wire system is not possible. A CURT converter offers a quick, simple solution by making this connection possible.
While connectors and adapters are essential for successful towing, CURT’s line of towing electrical products extends far beyond the bare essentials. One of CURT’s most exciting product lines is our electric brake controls. The CURT brake control line, spearheaded by the TriFlex inertia-activated brake control, offers a number of braking solutions for hauling larger, heavier loads. A brake control system works on trailers with built-in electronic brakes to effectively stop the trailer as you stop the vehicle. The TriFlex features a triple-axis, motion-sensing accelerometer that provides precise, dynamic power adjustment when going up or down an incline. The nine levels of sensitivity adjustment allow you to fine-tune your brakes for varying trailer loads and driving conditions. The CURT TriFlex is compatible with low-voltage or pulse-width modulation (PWM) systems and mounts at a variety angles for an ideal fit on your dash.
When purchasing a brake control for your vehicle, it is necessary to also buy the correct brake control harness. A brake control harness is essentially an electrical component that allows you to plug your brake controller into your specific vehicle type. CURT brake control harnesses are available for most makes and models and eliminate the need for complicated splicing.
CURT also offers fuses, circuit breakers, mounting brackets, terminals and custom vehicle-to-trailer wiring harnesses to meet any electrical need you might have while towing. Their custom vehicle-to-trailer wiring harnesses allow you to avoid splicing by providing OEM original-equipment connectors to plug directly into your vehicle’s electrical system. This provides an instant connector for your trailer, while still allowing proper power to be supplied to your vehicle. CURT carries custom vehicle-to-trailer wiring harnesses, or T-connectors, for plugs from 4-way flat to 7-way round; they also have tail light converters to adapt your vehicle’s electrical system to standard trailer light wiring, and push-to-test breakaway kits that help maintain safety in the event that your trailer becomes disconnected from your trailer hitch.
CURT Manufacturing is your one-stop shop for towing electrical. Whether you are having trailer light problems or just need to properly equip your vehicle, they have everything you need for a safe, successful tow.
Federal Signal Corporation
Since their first outdoor siren in 1917 to their first police car beacon in 1948, Federal Signal Co never stopped seeking better ways to improve safety and reduce risk for their customers. Today, a combination of product innovation, expertise, and a commitment to deliver superior service and support is what they work towards to make them unique.
Federal Signal Co’s global reach and commitment to safety and security is what drives their innovative spirit. The experience of their product design teams, engineers, customer and technical support staff makes them a trusted partner around the world. FedSig’s mission is to be a world leader in innovative products and solutions to keep workers, first responders and our communities safe and secure.
“We operate with the highest principles and deliver results through customer focus, innovation, continuous improvement, teamwork and investing in our people.”
The name Sensata comes from the Latin word sensate, meaning “those gifted with sense”. To complement their business and name, their logo is inspired by Braille, the writing system based on touch.
Their highly engineered devices satisfy the world’s growing need for safety, energy efficiency, and a clean environment. These are devices that improve safety, efficiency and comfort for millions of people every day and are used in automotive, appliance, aircraft, industrial, military, heavy vehicle, heating, air conditioning, data, telecommunications, recreational vehicle and marine applications.
Until 2006, Sensata was called Texas Instruments Sensors & Controls. Today, they are the world’s leading supplier of sensors and controls across a broad range of markets and applications.
The Integrated Control System from Havis combines cutting-edge, on-board technology, the convenience of touch control, and increased space to provide police officers with a comfortable, safe and connected solution in their cockpit. This highly integrated and customizable control system also creates a more efficient work environment. Basic Package Components:
- Touch Screen Display – 12.1″ Ultra-durable portrait display, multi-touch operation, pressure sensitive screen allows for use with wet or dry gloves, and power/video from a single cable.
- Tactile Controls – convenient tactile control of touch screen display, one-touch MODE button easily alternates between the two displays, replaces factory HVAC controls and hazard indicators, and it’s compatible with OEM factory wiring.
- A/V Extender – ability to remotely connect an external audio/video source to the touch screen display (such as a PC, laptop, or tablet), and connects VGA or HDMI and analog audio to Embedded Processor with a single shielded CAT6A cable.
- Embedded Processor – Mounts in place of OEM AM/FM radio module, controls AM/FM Radio and optional GPS/WiFi, and steering wheel control functionality is highly customizable to provide “one push” operation of critical functions